museum visit with robot
When you don’t have the possibility to visit the museum physically, you can still view the collection presentation with the help of our museum robot. This remote controllable robot makes it possible to experience the museum and its artworks from home. The robot can be used by everyone, including visitors who live in another country. It might also be useful for school classes that want to experience the museum during class without actually having to leave the school.
In this video you see an overview of our Unlimited Van Abbe program, with a museum visit with robot at the end
BOOK THE ROBOT
The museumrobot can be booked for a timeslot of one hour from Tuesday to Friday between 11 am and 5 pm. You can make a reservation for an independent visit or accompanied by a guide:
- Independent visits costs € 13. There will always be a supervisor present who can remotely assist you.
- Guided tours with extensive explanation of the works of art cost € 40. Guided tours must be booked a week in advance due to the availability of guides.
These prices are comparable to regular admission and guided tours in the museum. Discounts and museum year cards are not applicable.
HOW DOES IT WORK AFTER BOOKING?
- After making a reservation, you will receive a link in the confirmation e-mail with which you can download a small one-off computer program. You need this program to remotely control the robot from your computer. The confirmation e-mail also states your reserved timeslot with which you can log in. If you experience any trouble, contact: +31 (0)6 22485912.
- When you log in, a supervisor will be waiting for you at the museum to explain how to operate the robot. He or she will guide you through the rooms and answer any questions you may have. The control system works simply by using the arrow keys on your keyboard and it can be adapted to your needs. The control system is currently only available in English.
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
For controlling the museumrobot, you need the following:
- Laptop or PC
- A good internet connection (preferably wired or a stable WIFI network)
- A museumrobot reservation for a specific time (made at least 6 days in advance and confirmed by the museum)
- Operating software (you can download this via the link in the confirmation e-mail that you will receive once the reservation has been confirmed by the museum)
NOTE: there are some problems with macOS Catalina. Please read these instructions.
UNLIMITED VAN ABBE
The museumrobot is part of the Unlimited Van Abbe-programme. The Van Abbemuseum wants to be accessible to every curious visitor, whether you are blind or visually impaired, deaf or hard of hearing. Even if you are bedridden, the museum will come to you. Unlimited Van Abbe comprises monthly recurring activities for various groups, guided tours and several adjustments that improve the museum's accessibility. It is made possible by members of the VriendenLoterij.
For practical information about the reservation and operating of the robot, please contact Petra van Gerwen: email@example.com or T: +31 6 22485912. For questions regarding the Unlimited Van Abbe programme, please contact Vivian Heyms, Constituent organiser (vivian.heyms [at] vanabbemuseum.nl / +31 6 385 568 10) or Glenda Pattipeilohy, education and mediation (glenda.pattipeilohy [at]vanabbemuseum.nl / +31 6 3855 4992).