Become a work of art! - We are looking for a musical family from Eindhoven
Become a work of art! We are looking for a musical family from Eindhoven
The artist Francesca Grilli and the Van Abbemuseum are looking for a musical family from Eindhoven going back several generations. Grilli would like to produce a choral work in which the family’s personal fascination for one of the artworks in the exhibition has central place. The collection in the museum will serve as the inspiration for this. Together with the Italian artist the family members select one or more of the artworks in the exhibition of the collection The Collection Now. They also determine the musical genre on the basis of mutual consultation, as long as they can sing a capella. The choral piece of music – entitled Family – will be performed once every three months from the autumn of 2015 to the beginning of 2017 in the galleries where the artworks in the collection are exhibited, and can then be heard throughout the museum.
The Van Abbemuseum is looking for four musical family members:
• with experience of singing;
• preferably spread over three generations: young child, teenager/young adult and adult;
• available from July to September 2015 for auditions and several rehearsals;
• available from October 2015 to April 2017 to give a performance every three months.
There is a fee available for every participant.
Deadline for applications: 20 July 2015.
For questions and applications you can contact Evelien Scheltinga at email@example.com or 040-2381091.
Part of the collection
This performance artwork will become part of the collection of the Van Abbemuseum when The collection now closes in April 2017. It will be purchased by the museum in the form of documentary and sound material.
A unique possibility
Families in Eindhoven will have a unique possibility to:
• create a personal work of art – a choral piece of music – together with an internationally famous artist;
• present this piece of choral music on a special stage – the museum galleries;
• have their voice immortalised in the Van Abbe collection, as the artwork will be purchased by the museum.
In her art projects Francesca Grilli (born 1978, Bologna, Italy) regularly explores the world of sound together with singers. She works intensively with the performers of the pieces to achieve intimate narratives and performances with maximum intensity. For her the use of image in combination with sound is the most effective and direct means of communication. Her work is exhibited in many institutions in Italy and abroad.
In the project in the Van Abbemuseum relationships and tradition play an important role. The museum would like to work with a family from Eindhoven, a family with links to the place where the work is performed.