Artistic Strategies in Psychiatry
Artist in Residence Programme Eindhoven
Open Call for Applications
By Van Abbemuseum and GGzE
Application Deadline: 15.01.2017, 23:59 CET
Notification date: 16.02.2017
Residency period: 02.10.2017 - 02.12.2017
Mental health care is an important topic nowadays with the rise of stress-related illnesses such as burnout and depression in addition to severe diagnosis like personality disorders, schizophrenia and addiction. Most of the affected people live at home and only a small part stay in psychiatric hospitals. However, psychiatric illnesses are still stigmatized by society, not least because of the problematic history of psychiatric care.
Mental health care and psychiatry have adopted these challenges and found a new understanding that includes an interdisciplinary approach serving the well-being of affected persons. Innovative artistic strategies play a vital part in this development as they can react to these issues creatively and initiate processes that help to reshape the perception of psychiatry in society.
The Van Abbemuseum and the GGzE (Mental Health Care Institute Eindhoven) invite national and international artists or artist groups working in the fields of socially engaged art, community art, participatory art, art & science, social design or other related fields to apply for the Artist in Residence Programme “Artistic Strategies in Psychiatry”. During the two months residency on site at the GGzE, the artists are asked to develop and realize site specific projects of high artistic quality and innovative approaches that have a concrete, positive and lasting impact which relate to one or more of the following objectives:
· reducing prejudices in society against mental health care and psychiatric illnesses
· dealing with specific needs and problems of clients, ex-clients, their relatives or friends
· enhancing the inclusion of clients or ex-clients in society
· improving the living conditions and environment of clients or ex-clients
· improving the working conditions and environment at the GGzE
· making a concrete, positive and lasting impact on the institution, its clients or staff
The invited artists will be provided a studio to work on site at GGzE in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the Mental Health Care Institution, its clients and staff. They should envisage a close cooperation with the GGzE and the Van Abbemuseum as well as with local or national institutions, organizations, communities and individuals which are concerned with issues according to the submitted projects.
Projects referring to classical kind of art therapy are exempt since the GGzE is already running successful art therapy programs.
Duration of residency
The Residency consists of three phases:
Research phase: The selected artists are invited to visit Eindhoven for a 3 - 5 days research trip in spring 2017.
Residency phase: The selected artists will work on site at the GGzE for the duration of two months in October and November 2017.
Presentation phase: The project will be presented in a suitable way, the location and the date of the presentation depend on the requirements of the project. The artists will be present for the presentation.
Who can apply
National or international artists or artist groups (max. 5 people) working in the fields of socially engaged art, community art, participatory art, art & science, social design or other related fields are welcome to apply. Students are exempt. No age limits apply.
Accommodation and Studio
Accommodation will be provided by Van Abbemuseum. A studio space will be provided on site at the GGzE.
Stipend and production budget
The selected artist (or artists group) will get a stipend of € 7.000,- for the participation in the whole programme (research, residency, presentation) to cover all living expenses.
An operational budget of up to € 5.000,- will be provided for the realization of the project, its documentation, communication and presentation.
Travel expenses will be covered up to an amount of € 2.000,-.
Van Abbemuseum will provide curatorial and organizational support. A suitable form of presentation of the project will be developed by the artists in collaboration with Van Abbemuseum.
GGzE will provide medical expertise and access to its institutions, staff and clients (as it is medically responsible and with their consent).
Requirements of the Artists
· Applicants should be fluent in English or Dutch
· The artists are responsible for all matters concerning visa.
· The artists will be covered by a liability insurance for their work on site, but are obliged to take out travel insurance in their home countries.
· The selected artists will visit Eindhoven prior to the start of the residency for a site-survey and research at GGzE and Van Abbemuseum (3-5 days)
· The artists will be present on site for the duration of the residency (2 months)
· The artists will regularly meet with Van Abbe and GGzE to keep them informed about the ongoing process
· The artists will develop a suitable presentation which will be organized together with Van Abbemuseum and in collaboration with GGzE
· The artists will be present for the presentation
· The artists are responsible for managing their operational budget (costs due to the maintenance and/or the continuation of the project are also to be considered
· The artists will provide correct billing (with original receipts) concerning the operational budget
· Finally, an appropriate documentation in form of text, photography, video, etc. will be provided by the artists
The application consists of:
- The completed application form (download here)
- A text (max. 4000 characters/ one A4 page) outlining the applicant's interest, ideas or concepts for their projects: We ask the artists to convey possible working methods, approaches, motivation or aims, but we do not ask for a concrete project proposal!
- A documentation of max. 5 previous artistic projects
Please send all above information (in English or Dutch) in a single .pdf file (max. 5 MB) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The jury consists of Annie Fletcher (Chief Curator, Van Abbemuseum), Wilma Wilgenhof (Audit Manager, GGzE) and Henri Snel (Alzheimer Architecture/ Gerrit Rietveld Academie Amsterdam).
The Artist in Residence Programme “Artistic Strategies in Psychiatry” was initiated and designed by the artist group WochenKlausur on invitation by the Van Abbemuseum. It is the final stage of their participation as “artists in residence” in the Museum of Arte Útil.