ABOUT THE LIBRARY
The library has over 130 thousand titles, including books, exhibition and collection catalogues, national and international periodicals, videos, CDs and DVDs. This collection is particularly well endowed with artists books and other publications on Minimal Art, Conceptual Art and Fluxus. Besides publications, it includes invitations, posters and special productions such as multiples and editions.
Other special resources include the museum’s collection and exhibitions’ archive since 1936. The library strives to keep track of current developments in contemporary art though new acquisitions, gifts and exchanges with other museums. In exceptional cases, collections from external organizations find a place within that of the library.
ARCHIVE AND LIBRARY CATALOGUE
The exhibition and museum archives form an integral part of the library’s collection. You can consult files for information on the history of the museum, its exhibitions and art collection.
The library holds its own exhibitions in the library, that change every two months. These are programmed in collaboration with artists, collectors, publishers and art institutions. The exhibits include works on paper, bibliophilic editions and artists’ books, and are selected from a different perspective every time. Have a look at the programme overview to find out more about our current exhibition.
OPENING HOURS & RESERVATIONS
Tuesday to Friday from 11 am to 5 pm.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, a limited number of workspaces are available in the reading room of the library of the Van Abbemuseum with time slot 11 am-1pm and /or 2 pm-4pm (closed 1 pm-2 pm). Only for consulting publications, documentation and files from the Collection Library and Archives.
Reservations can only be made by telephone on working days Tuesday to Friday and at least 2 working days in advance by calling 040 238 1049. You will be allocated a spacious workplace, where you can consult archive materials, books and magazines that have been requested at least 2 working days in advance via email: rterborg[at]vanabbemuseum.nl.
Reservations are not required for the Bartleby & Co. 1995-2020 library exhibition, please report to the information desk or the museum guard in the Old Building during your visit to the museum.
Adjusted opening hours during holidays
December 25 Christmas Day - closed
December 26 Boxing Day - closed
December 31 New Year's Eve - open
01 January 2021 New Year's Day – closed
HOUSE RULES LIBRARY
- All publications are available but can not be borrowed. It is advisable to request documentation and publications in advance by e-mail: w.smit[at]vanabbemuseum.nl of rterborg[at]vanabbemuseum.nl.
- From 1 December, wearing is a face mask is compulsory in public indoor spaces in the Netherlands. This includes the museum and the museum library.
- Due to corona measures, the opportunity for copying and / or scanning is limited, in consultation with the library staff and with the exception of vulnerable and / or valuable works Copies: black A4 € 0.10 per pp, A3 € 0.20 pp. / color A4 € 0.25 pp., A3 € 0.50 pp. Scanning: € 1.50 per session.
- There are laptop connections. Wifi is free. There are also two kiosk PC's available.
- It is not allowed to: eat or drink, bring your coats and bags (there are lockers at the entrance).
- Be considerate of fellow users of the reading room, turn off the sound of mobile phones, laptops, etc.