ABOUT THE LIBRARY
The library has over 130 thousand titles, including books, exhibition and collection catalogues, national and international periodicals, videos, CDs and DVDs. This collection is particularly well endowed with artists books and other publications on Minimal Art, Conceptual Art and Fluxus. Besides publications, it includes invitations, posters and special productions such as multiples and editions.
Other special resources include the museum’s collection and exhibitions’ archive since 1936. The library strives to keep track of current developments in contemporary art though new acquisitions, gifts and exchanges with other museums. In exceptional cases, collections from external organizations find a place within that of the library.
ARCHIVE AND LIBRARY CATALOGUE
The exhibition and museum archives form an integral part of the library’s collection. You can consult files for information on the history of the museum, its exhibitions and art collection.
The library also programs its own library exhibitions. The exhibitions include works on paper, special editions and artist's books. The library works together with artists, collectors and publishers.
Check our program overview for the current exhibition.
OPENING HOURS & RESERVATIONS
Tuesday to Friday from 11 am to 5 pm.
Reservations are not required for the Bartleby & Co. 1995-2020 library exhibition, please report to the information desk or the museum guard in the Old Building during your visit to the museum.
Special closing days 2021:
The whole month of August
December 25: Christmas Day
December 26: Boxing Day
1 January New Year's Day
On December 31 the library is open
Opening hours Study room
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, a limited number of workspaces are available in the reading room of the library of the Van Abbemuseum with time slot 11 am-1pm and /or 2 pm-4pm (the library is closed from 1 pm-2 pm). these workspaces are only for consulting publications, documentation and files from the Collection Library and Archives.
You can make a reservation via this form and at least 2 working days in advance. You will be allocated a spacious workplace, where you can consult archive materials, books and magazines that have been requested at least 2 working days in advance via this form.
Our services are supplemented to be able to answer short questions and thus promote art historical research from a distance. You can email a specific request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
HOUSE RULES LIBRARY
- All publications are available but can not be borrowed. It is advisable to request documentation and publications in advance by e-mail: bibliotheek[at]vanabbemuseum.nl.
- From 1 December, wearing is a face mask is compulsory in public indoor spaces in the Netherlands. This includes the museum and the museum library.
- Due to corona measures, the opportunity for copying and/or scanning is limited, in consultation with the library staff and with the exception of vulnerable and/or valuable works Copies: black A4 € 0.10 per pp, A3 € 0.20 pp./color A4 € 0.25 pp., A3 € 0.50 pp. Scanning: € 1.50 per session.
- There are laptop connections. Wifi is free. There are also two kiosk PC's available.
- It is not allowed to eat or drink.
- Store coats/bags in the available lockers in the library.
- Be considerate of fellow users of the reading room: no meetings, turn off the sound of mobile phones, laptops, etc.