ABOUT THE LIBRARY
The library has over 130 thousand titles, including books, exhibition and collection catalogues, national and international periodicals, videos, CDs and DVDs. This collection is particularly well endowed with artists books and other publications on Minimal Art, Conceptual Art and Fluxus. Besides publications, it includes invitations, posters and special productions such as multiples and editions.
Other special resources include the museum’s collection and exhibitions’ archive since 1936. The library strives to keep track of current developments in contemporary art though new acquisitions, gifts and exchanges with other museums. In exceptional cases, collections from external organizations find a place within that of the library.
ARCHIVE AND LIBRARY CATALOGUE
The exhibition and museum archives form an integral part of the library’s collection. You can consult files for information on the history of the museum, its exhibitions and art collection.
OPENING HOURS & RESERVATIONS
From Tuesdays to Thursdays a limited number of workspaces are available in the reading room of the library of the Van Abbemuseum for doing art-historical research that cannot be done from home. These workspaces are only for consulting publications, documentation and files from the Library and Archives.
You can make a reservation by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 working days in advance for a time slot from 11am to 1pm and /or from 2pm to 4pm (the library is closed from 1pm to 2pm). You will be allocated a spacious workplace, where you can consult archive materials, books and magazines that have also been requested at least 2 working days in advance.
Our services are supplemented to be able to answer short questions and thus promote art historical research from a distance. You can email a specific questions to email@example.com.
Special closing days
1st January: New Year's Day
Easter Sunday and Monday
27 April: King's Day
18/19 May: Ascension Day & free Friday
Whit Sunday and Whit Monday
Summer closure (to be determined)
December 25: Christmas Day
December 26: Boxing Day
HOUSE RULES LIBRARY
- All publications are available but can not be borrowed. It is advisable to request documentation and publications in advance by e-mail: bibliotheek[at]vanabbemuseum.nl.
- From 1 December, wearing is a face mask is compulsory in public indoor spaces in the Netherlands. This includes the museum and the museum library.
- Due to corona measures, the opportunity for copying and/or scanning is limited, in consultation with the library staff and with the exception of vulnerable and/or valuable works Copies: black A4 € 0.10 per pp, A3 € 0.20 pp./color A4 € 0.25 pp., A3 € 0.50 pp. Scanning: € 1.50 per session.
- There are laptop connections. Wifi is free. There are also two kiosk PC's available.
- It is not allowed to eat or drink.
- Store coats/bags in the available lockers in the library.
- Be considerate of fellow users of the reading room: no meetings, turn off the sound of mobile phones, laptops, etc.